1.11.2010

Hackintosh Final Cut Working!

So I've been having this issue with the video files I'm getting from our new camera: a Panasonic HMC150. We used to use a Canon HV30 for the Plaidcasts, but now that I'm also recording lecture material to be used in John Boyer's World Regions class, we needed a better camera. Using Final Cuts Log and Capture I encoded the AVCHD files to ProRes. The process results in huge files (about a 1gb per minute of file). My Hackintosh, for some reason could not properly playback these files, ie choppy playback then the video would freeze while the audio continued. I couldn't edit on my Hackintosh, BUT could on my 2 year old Macbook Pro Laptop.

After some deliberation and help from some friends it was decided my Hackintosh version of Final Cut (6.0.4) couldn't handle the files and needed to be updated. (My laptop was version 6.0.5) But to update I would also have to update the operating system, which is usually a huge headache with Hackintoshes. In a last ditch effort I looked at my system updates list to see what I was missing for Final Cut, since I never update my computer. I was missing ProKits. Quick forum search later I found out the ProKits for 2008 helped with "robust AVCHD support" but had also crashed some hackintosh peoples Final Cut. I decided to go for it and install and it worked! Hell yea! So now I can finally edit these files on my computer!

So my final issue with the new camera is the white balance. I just can't seem to get it right! Lots of yellowing. You can see here from the photo, left is before the 3-way color correction, right is after. Hopefully can get that figured out soon, any advice is welcome!


1 comment:

  1. Hello to you Katie.
    Nice blog by the way.

    I've just, after days of try and errors, and actually buy all new parts (compatible for a Hackintosh) and got OSX working properly, and sound was what took for ever to figure out. So now everything works, but, installed final cut Studio 3 and everything (Color, Sountrack, motion) works exept final cut itself. It gives me an error (final Cut Pro quit unexpectedly). I've looked all over the web and could find anything to solve my problem.

    Would you have any toughts or tricks that could help me ?

    Thanks in advance.

    Sincerely your's, Aclariel.

    ReplyDelete